Other People's Interesting Posts

Here is my newest post, wherein I try to convince you that I am, in fact, posting something new (when, in fact, I'm merely linking to other people's interesting stories).

Before the links, though, a brief reminder: go vote for Ethiopia Reads in the CNN Heroes contest. 


But Kimberly, you might be saying to yourself, I already voted

But Dear Reader, I might be saying in reply, why not go vote again? 

For whatever reason, CNN's contest allows you to vote multiple times. (Seems to defeat the purpose of the whole contest concept, but oh well.) So go kill some time over there while helping out a good cause. It's fast, "warm fuzzy"-inducing, and easier than playing the FreeRice game and struggling to remember for the umpteenth time whether a "bulbul" means an "idler" or a "thief." *

Now, onward to other people's scintillating insights...

  • From The Adoption Blogs
--Cripes! Not sure if something is in the air this week or what, but ever since I've started reading adoption blogs again (post-surgery), there seems to be an awful lot of controversy stirring in people's posts (and in their comments sections!). And really, I read these posts and think, why all the ruckus? But it is the Internet, after all, so I suppose the ol' saying about mountains and molehills applies. For a peek at the controversy, check out this post, or this one, or this one.

I would feel bad about even linking to these stories, except that I know only two or three people read this blog, and they're nice! (I trust you, my three friends!) But, if by some weird chance you're a random fussy person who stumbled upon these links, looking for someone to unleash vituperations on...save it! These folks have taken enough crap this week. Go show them some love, if you're so inclined. Otherwise, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! 

  • From The World Of Ethiopian Music
--From the excellent music blog Chocoreve, a link to the Kuku Sebsebe album, Munaye

--A hard-to-find gem, The Greatest Hits of Bezunesh Bekele, has been lovingly copied from tape to mp3 and posted online at the music blog, Decent Island Albums.

--John at Likembe continues his superlative explorations of obscure African music with his post of Mahmoud Ahmed's 1992 Live in Addis Ababa recording. Again, this is another instance of a blogger taking the time to transfer music from a scratchy old cassette to digital format. Wow--hooray for the Internet and the kind folks who work to provide access to these hard-to-find recordings.

--And finally, Voice Of America hosts a handful of songs recorded in 1960s Ethiopia and accompanied by an insightful article on "Ethiopia's Revolutionary Sixties." If you want to know more about the precursors to Ethiopia's "Golden Age" of 1970s music (as popularized in the 
Ethiopiques series), check out VoA's story. 

  • From The Files Of Things That Have Nothing To Do With Adoption, Ethiopia, Or The Stated Purpose Of This Blog
--To put you in the Halloween spirit: the brother of one of my bestest friends is a world-class pumpkin carver (who even knew there was such a thing?!) and has a website featuring his really cool creations. (I think he's also going to be on a Food Network special this weekend, maybe?) Anyway, for pumpkin carvings that will blow your mind, check out the Pumpkin Gutter

* To clarify--I think the FreeRice site is rad. I'm merely encouraging you to spread the clicking love to other charitable causes, as well. And a "bulbul" is actually a songbird.  ;)

2 comments:

Julie said...

What a cool, informative blog! I am adding you to my list! I posted about Yohannes too. Go Et Reads!

Kimberly said...

Thanks, Julie! I checked out your blogs, as well, and I think your online book club is a great idea, especially with the children's books.

And, as it so happens, I'm actually in the middle of reading Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child right now--small world! Perhaps we could cross-post reviews for that...?

In any event, I'll definitely visit again soon! =)